Tuesday, March 22, 2016

How to Astral Project #2 - Mind Awake Body Asleep


I think we left off in that mind awake, body asleep state, with our consciousness, just floating in that peaceful empty void. Something worth mentioning once you've reached that void state is that keeping your mind awake suddenly becomes substantially easier. Robert Monroe talks about learning to reach the borderland state that you can hold indefinitely. That is this state. Once you have successfully taken your body out of the picture, your mind seems to snap awake with a renewed clarity. It is as if your mind simply had a job to do, put the body to sleep, and now that it's job is complete it is ready to resume in its usual capacities. As Monroe states, you could literally hold this state indefinitely. Without the nagging exhaustion, you felt just moments before, remaining conscious suddenly seem laughably easy.

In my experience, there are a couple of options once you have reached this state. There is the road of those who prefer to wait for the magic and the road for those who wish to try to give the process a little help. Waiting it out for me is the more reliable of the two methods, but I will cover them both below as they tend to lead to slightly different experiences. 

If you choose to just allow the process to develop on its own, all you need to do is continue to relax and try to sink further and further inward.  Try to become less and less aware of the physical world around you and more and more aware of the nothingness you are becoming a part of.  At some point, if your experiences are on par with my own, the next phase of this experiment will begin. For me, this takes the form of regular energetic rushes.  This feels like a rush of energy that moves up to my head. At first, they are so faint that they are almost imperceptible, but if ignored in just the right way, as if you have no real interest in them, other than a mild curiosity, they will build in intensity.  These energetic waves soon take on an audible quality. The sound of these rushes is like a pulsating static, that again, if ignored in just the right way will begin to build in volume and speed. The static will continue to build in volume and speed as the energetic waves build in intensity and frequency.  The moment the static become one continuous roar comparable to that of a jet engine in your head, the vibrations hit in full force.  

As I mentioned in my post about the vibrational state,  this procedure starts out as an incredibly delicate process.  You have to approach it as though you are indifferent to every sensation.  Keep your breathing steady, keep your emotions under control, and just surrender completely. If you can do this, you will reach a point where it is as if you have reached the top of a hill and are now on the downward slope of the opposite side.  At this point, it is difficult to stop the process even if you want to. The vibrations will become smoother, and build in frequency as the sound in your head turns from a roar into more of an electric hum.  This is the point where I personally can now see through my closed eyelids and my mask.  This is the moment where all that is required is to sit up or roll out.  The movement will feel just as if you are moving your physical body, but you will quickly find, you are no longer residing in the physical world.

So lets say you want to try to give this process some help.  This will require some practice and some creative visualization.  Once in the void state, without pushing too hard, you must begin a visualization that generates the feeling of movement.  A popular approach is to picture yourself climbing a rope.  I personally have more success when I use a visualization where I am being forced to move rather than initiating the movement on my own.  I have two favorite methods, both of which generate the same sort of movement.  Several months back I found a first person perspective video on YouTube of a roller coaster called the Ring of Fire.  Some of you may be familiar with this.  It typically resides at small fairs and carnivals.  Once you are in the car, it simply does loop after loop. Then it will do the same, but in reverse.  I watched this video for about an hour, over and over again, memorizing the scenery at every point in the ride, remembering times I have ridden this myself, trying to remember the sensation in my stomach and the feel of the wind in my face.  Since then, I have used this visualization of being on this roller coaster many times.  

The second method I use is to imagine a dot on my ceiling.  I make this dot travel across the ceiling in the direction of my feet, down the far wall, across the floor, and then under me.  I watch this dot through its entire progression around my room causing my imagined self to do a sort of summer salt. This has the same effect as the roller coaster.  For me, the upside down motion is critical.  I have never been able to produce results with imagined swaying as if in a hammock or just imagined forward or backward motion as if in a car.

I want to emphasize that you need to do more than see yourself performing these actions and these movements. Visualized sight is a good start, but in order for this to work, you need to be able to visualize what these movements actually feel like.  Feeling the movement is the key.

So what does all this visualization do for you?  This for me accelerates the bringing on of the vibrations.  I never reach the energetic waves, I never hear the pulsating static, I go from the void straight to jet engine in my head and massive vibrations just at the flip of a switch.  It hits so suddenly that all I have a chance to feel to prepare me for it is one rush that goes from my lower spine up to my head in a fraction of a second. The other biggest difference between this method and the slower more controlled method laid out above is that this technique always results in me being ejected from my body at a high speed.  It is like that movement that I have started gains momentum and carries me to some unknown location.  These are always locations that look like they could be part of the physical world, but places I don't recognize. As you can imagine, this is a little harder to grow accustomed to than the gradual onset of these sensations, which always leave me in my own room after the exit.

I would recommend doing your own experiments. Try the gradual onset. Try the roller coaster. Try climbing a rope. Just remember, it is the feeling and not the visual aspect of these imagined scenarios that is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment